Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hey Friends

Heyho, cats and kittens.

Life in Blueface is a sort of compainion to my main basketball fan blog, Basketball for Beginners.  B3 was originally conceptualized as a knowledge repository, a place to put what I learned about the game as I followed my team, the Dallas Mavericks, through one complete season.

Like a lot of beginning bloggers, my grand scheme didn't work out the way I planned.  The two-three weeks stuck in a shithole apartment without home Internet turned into almost a year, I lost my job the week before my birthday, enthusiam waned somewhat because without cable TV I couldn't tape and review games and -- let's face it -- the Mavs didn't get off to the Great Vengence and Furious Anger start I'd hoped for.  The material I wound up with exposed me as a hopeless homer who still didn't really understand what she was looking at.

So after this season got under way, I did some thinking.  I want to continue documenting thoughts about basketball generally and the Mavericks in particular -- mostly because my friends and family are not sports fans and don't want to put up with endless basketball blathering on my LiveJournal.  And I want to keep writing about the Mavericks, and why it's good to be a homer.  But, I want to stick with my original concept of B3; how I learn about my true sporting love and the people who make it go.

The idea I hit upon, finally, was to split the blog up.  Both blogs will have recaps of games and both will continue to be Mavs-centric, but B3 will be more about the game itself and the league as a whole.  Blueface will be more about experiences as a fan; the people I meet, the weird stuff I encounter, how and why basketball's carved out its own niche in my imagination (right next to Star Wars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Werewolf the Apocalypse, et cetera et cetera et cetera).

So, here we are.  Blueface is in neutral until I can get some material piled up, and after . . . away we go then, eh?
-BJ

No comments:

Post a Comment